Quinoa Chicken Pot Pie
Chicken pot pie is one of my favorite meals! If you ever look at the pre packaged items they are outrageous in calories, fat, sodium etc! So here is a healthy version which will allow you to avoid all the unhealthy stuff. Best part is... it is 21 day fix approved!
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 tsp ground thyme (or 1 tsp dried thyme)
- 2/3 cups lowfat mozzarella cheese
- 3 cups quinoa, cooked
- 2 cups chicken broth, low sodium
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 10 white mushrooms, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 cups frozen peas, carrots & corn mix, thawed
- 3 cups cooked chicken breast, diced
- Cooking spray
- In a medium bowl, whisk eggs and egg whites. Add thyme, cheese, quinoa and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a small bowl, whisk chicken broth, milk, flour, salt, pepper and set aside.
- Spray with frying pan with cooking spray. Add mushrooms and cook until golden brown, stirring frequently. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Return skillet to medium heat and spray with cooking spray again. Add garlic and onion, saute until translucent. Slowly pour broth and milk mixture into a skillet, whisking and making sure no flour is left at the bottom of the bowl. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and cook until sauce has thickened, stirring occasionally to prevent burning. Remove from heat and add mushrooms, vegetables, chicken and stir to combine.
- Transfer to a 9 x 13 baking dish and flatten with a spatula. Drop spoonfuls of quinoa mixture on top and spread with a spatula to cover the filling evenly. Bake for 25 minutes. Let cool for 5 – 10 minutes, cut into 6 portions and serve hot.
***21 day fix containers: 1/2 Blue, 1 Red, 1 Yellow and 1 Green ***